Tuesday 29 May 2012

Tools Broken; Distance no Object

I sort of have this reputation for breaking tools.  Usually sockets and spanners, but sometimes a bit more spectacular.  Take today as an example.  Every Tuesday, I spend the day at the workshop of the City of Portsmouth Preserved Transport Depot, usually called "the bus museum" www.cpptd.co.uk where I am one of a team restoring a 1947 Leyland PD1.
Amongst other tasks today, I needed to remove the steering wheel.  As you might expect (and hope) on a bus, the steering wheel doesn't come off that easily, requiring either a special steering wheel removal tool or bearing puller to get it off.  Being unable to find either, I made my own with a length of steel bar and two G clamps. The picture shows what happened to one of the G clamps. I was only tightening it by hand, I promise! 



No comments:

Post a Comment